Saturday, March 24, 2018

Freedom to speak

For 40 years I've kept my opinions to myself as a professional journalist. I never let them influence a story and I never joined a protest, until now. I retired from my last newspaper job in December and on Saturday took part in my first demonstration, March For Our Lives.

Me and some guy with something in common
at Saturday's march in Aix-en-Provence.
It wasn't in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio, or in D.C. It was with 120 other expats or vacationing Americans in Aix-en-Provence, France. It's been my wife's dream to live in France. I bought into it and we're spending the year deciding whether we actually will take the big step next year.

If we do, I'll still be a taxpaying American, still concerned with what happens in my homeland, in part because I have three grown children facing gun violence, outrageous health-insurance costs, cuts on environmental protections and politicians demonizing a free press when it doesn't kiss their ass. So obviously I'm a liberal. I like to say center-left.

I bit my tongue when unreasonable gun enthusiasts called the newspaper to complain about gun control "nuts." I listened to their arguments, discussed both sides with them and hoped that they at least had found a sounding board for their opinion. It's a proud tradition of newspapers, or should be.

I no longer have such professional constraints.

I support banning all semiautomatic rifles. You want to have one, join the military, where one day you might get to use that gun for its sole purpose, to kill many enemy troops. Hopefully it will be in the defense of democracy and the country.

Or go rip off as many rounds as you want at a firing range. Just leave the gun there when you're done. I understand the thrill. I attended an FBI citizens academy where firing a Thompson machine gun and a semiautomatic rifle were the highlights.

You want an AR-15 to hunt? You're a lousy sportsman. Hunting rifle or shotgun should be all you need. Or try a bow and arrow if you're really up for a challenge.

You want it for home security? A handgun or shotgun is ample protection.

You have some crazy theory of government troops taking your gun during a military coup? Good luck with that pea shooter against a tank. This isn't 1776.

Have a handgun, shotgun, hunting rifle with a five-round magazine if you want. There's no practical reason for a civilian to have an AR-15 with a 30- or 60-round magazine or similar weapon. And don't hide behind the Second Amendment. The luxury of allowing these killing machines has cost us too many dead children and concert-goers.

I know I might get a lot of opposing comments. Save your carpal tunnel. I'm not here to debate. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. Post your own blog.

This mid-term election, you vote for your gun-rights candidate and I'll vote for my gun-control candidate.

That's how we solve these issues in a democracy.

If you win, I'll be out there protesting. If I win, I'll expect the same from you, my fellow American.




4 comments:

  1. Going to post my own blog post -- JK. I agree, obvs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for protesting in France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Be sure to register to vote from abroad. Democrats Abroad can help you with the paperwork.

    ReplyDelete